Saturday, November 1, 2008

Over 10,000 photos taken with the LX3


Wet autumn flower, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

I just noticed that I have taken over 10,000 photos with the Panasonic LX3 - precisely 10,527 photos. Quite a lot of shooting in seven weeks or so. The camera is doing great, and I'm becoming confortable in using it, as fluent as I was with the Ixus 400 before.

Due to the manual controls there is much more to be learned, but at this moment I feel it is more about learning photography than learning to use the LX3. Of course, every once in a while there are moments when I discover something new about the camera, but those moments are increasingly rare.

I'm tinkering a bit whether I should use the automatic ISO feature or just assign the ISO selection to the fn button. And although I'm usually relying on manual focus, every so often I switch on the automatic focusing as well, and it doesn't work too bad - usually. But I'm growing to like the fact that I'm in control, not the camera.

I'm comfortable in using the settings I have found to work best for me. In custom settings C1 I have saved the aperture priority mode with a customized film and awb settings. In C2 I have a b&w mode, tailored especially to low-light shooting (ISO up to 800).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

As a new LX3 user i will be pleased if you can share your custom settings.

Juha Haataja said...

I'm most often (C1) using the nostalgic film mode based tweaks, which Tom Hoots et al. suggested at the Dpreview forums. Nothing fancy at all. In C2 I have dynamic b&w with ISO limit at 1600. In C3 and C4 I'm saving some experimental settings, these change weekly.

Still thinking said...

I'd love to see your LX3 shots. Sorry if I have missed an obvious link bit can you direct me to the site you display more of you work?

Thanks :)

Juha Haataja said...

There are a lot of images at Flickr, over 5000 of them. Obviously, all photographs do not succeed, I store less than 10% of them.