Saturday, November 29, 2008

Week end


Ice reflections, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Once again, an end to a week. I'm hoping to see a bit of the sun this weekend, on Saturday it should be possible. But it is warm, so the melting snow will generate a slushy landscape.

Today I took a few photos just before sunset, and there some more after sunset. Once again the artificial lighting provided some colors to the otherwise subdued landscape. In this photo the reflection from the ice and snow were nice - although I had once again trouble finding a good spot where to put the camera on a mini-tripod. And no, I'm not going to buy a bigger tripod, although it would be convenient - I don't want to carry big thigs with me.

I have been quite active in taken photos even during this dark time of the year. It is remarkable how well the interest has survived even the loss of daylight.

I have been thinking that perhaps I'm just that type of person who needs to invest a lot of time to something, whatever that is, where there is a possibility to meet challenges and develop. And there are plenty of challenges.

Once again I read a few chapters from the book "The Simple Secret to Better Painting" by Greg Albert. I noticed that I have been making basic mistakes with composition - these are well demonstrated in the book. These mistakes result in either boring images or images where the eye is not kept inside the frame but is lead out of the image. I need to pay attention to topics like that to be able to take photos that provide more interest to the viewer.

2 comments:

Paul said...

That is a fantastic book. The main thing that I remember from it is: Most, some, and a little. I especially like the 'a little' part. Since reading that book, I really like to put little splashes of color, for example, in my photos.

I like to review it every now and again. I think that I'll do it today.

Juha Haataja said...

Nicely summarized! I'm working through the book slowly, trying to do some photography "between lessons".

I'm not quite sure I'm able to use the instructions in practice, but I guess you have to learn by doing in any case.