Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Snow at night


Skiing tracks, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

I took some photos late at night today, trying to catch the snow landscape as long as it lasts. Tomorrow will be a warmer day, and some of the snow is going to melt. Already today we had slush on the streets.

I had only a mini-tripod with me when taking photos at night, but there was one benefit to moist snow: you could build a base to hold the camera where you wanted. It was dark enough that nobody probably saw me playing with snow, but if someone did watch it probably appeared quite strange.

I struggled a bit with the white balance settings, trying to define a custom white balance, but unfortunately there were so many different light sources that this proved impossible for me. Finally I ended up using AWB. With this scene it did a quite nice job.

Update: Panasonic just announced that they are releasing a firmware update v. 1.1 for the LX3, which - in addition to supporting a new flash unit - "improves auto white balance performance under different color temperatures and lighting". This will be available on December 15th.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog is wonderful
every night I take a look to your nice photos from the cold land of lakes..
I share your passion for photography with the new lumix lx3..
what do you think of the silver one..?
is it the your black..?
If would you like to contact me for
photo sharing experience
please my email is
drtombolini[at]tele2.it

ciaoooo
Adalberto T.
from Italy...
;-))

Juha Haataja said...

I have the black LX3, and for me the color of the camera is not so important. What is important is that is a very robust photography tool.