Monday, November 24, 2008

Winter photography


Path in snow, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Snow changes the landscape totally. Unfortunately today it was not possible to do photography during daytime, so it was necessary to use what artificial light was available. It is surprising how many different colors the street lamps have - there is no setting of white balance which would fit all occasions.

Having used the LX3 in a snowstorm yesterday and also while it was snowing today I must say that I'm impressed. The camera coped without problems of the winter environment. I have also developed a technique for handling the lens cap with hands in gloves.

I started to use modified custom settings, + 2/3 EV exposure compensation and max ISO 400. I also defined another custom setting to be used on a mini-tripod, with ISO 80 and exposure bracketing. But it turned out that the exposure bracketing feature seems not to be included in the custom settings - when you reset it, it is reseted everywhere. But in any case, I have now a nice setup to be used on a tripod, and another for handheld photography.

No comments: