Saturday, July 26, 2008

No need to upgrade camera?

I have been looking at the current DSLRs, and they are tempting, except for a critical factor for me - size. I don't want to lug a big non-pocketable camera with me. Of the pocket-sized digital cameras none really appeal, not to such a degree as to tempt to upgrade from Canon Digital Ixus 400.

Why, why, why there isn't pocket-sized cameras with a bigger sensor? The Sigma DP1 was a failed attempt (big SLR-level sensor but much too slow), and the forthcoming new cameras may not really answer the need. A 25 mm or bigger sensor would be nice, perhaps even a 17 mm (2/3 inch) sensor if there wouldn't be too many pixels crammed in.

I'm cautiously optimistic about the upcoming Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3. The price in Finland seems to be about 500 euros, so this is not cheap. But if the image quality delivers at the ISO 400 level, then this camera is tempting. But who knows, perhaps Canon has a suprise to announce as well. That is, something else than continuing the megapixel race.

When you think about it, the current situation is suprising. Why the DSLR sensors are not used in non-SLR cameras as well? There seems to be something strange going on. In the 35 mm film era there were all kinds of cameras available, from big to small. Why not now?

In any case, I think I'll continue to use my Canon Ixus 400 for a while. In fact, I ordered a 2 GB compact flash card and a new battery for the camera. The old 512 MB card is too small (but it cost something like 100 euros when new). Also, I have already used up one battery, and a second one is now getting a bit weak in power. With these additions, the camera may serve for a couple of years still.

Update: It seems I was a bit mistaken in my thinking, thus I wrote some updated thoughts on the sensor sizes.

No comments: