Sunday, July 20, 2008

Three kinds of photographers

What kind of photographers are there, anyway? So far I have determined three types: 1) device lovers, 2) photograph lovers, and 3) collectors.

The device lovers focus on the cameras, lenses, flashes, tripods etc., seeing photography in terms of technology. The photograph lovers don't much think about technology except as a tool, focusing instead on the art and skill of photography. And then there are the collectors, who can collect different kinds of things: cameras, photos, stories about cameras, stories about photos etc. For the collectors, photography is an avenue of fulfilling the collector's instinct.

What kind of photographer I am? I used to be a device lover (loved my Minolta XG-1 and lenses), but now I'm more like a photograph lover (browsing through the photo galleries of good photographers). And perhaps I'm a bit of a collector as well, taking a lot of photos daily, and storing them on the iMac.

No comments: