Sunday, April 18, 2010

I survived the Icelandic ash - from Leuven to Helsinki in 44 hours


Red vase, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Antwerpen, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Thanks to the vulcano Eyjafjallajökull erupting in Iceland on April 14th, I was stuck in Leuven, Belgium, with no return flight. All airports in Belgium and nearby were closed, and the same in FInland. It didn't look too bright, but perhaps things would clear up in short while. But what if not?

It took 44 hours to return to Helsinki, by taxi, train, car, ferry, and boat (and some walking). Although we found a solution, it wasn't an easy one, and at moments things looked dark indeed. But we managed to do it. And I feel good now, after saying hello to the wife and the kids.

I'll make yet another posting (or perhaps two), showing some snapshots of the landscape on the way from Leuven to Helsinki.

2 comments:

Markus Spring said...

Wonderful mixed light in the Antwerpen image. I enjoyed it in large on flickr, and that makes it really impressive.

Juha Haataja said...

I tried to catch the feeling of a long wait here...