Friday, May 28, 2010

1000 postings - using a camera that looks both ways


Windows, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Wood, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

This is the 1000th posting at this blog, in a little bit less than two years. And - so they say - as the camera looks both ways, I must have revealed something about myself here. Or perhaps even learned a little bit of photography.

Since September 2008 I have taken over 93,000 photographs with my Panasonic LX3, quite a feat which I didn't aim for, it just happened. And I have written quite a few words to complement the photographs in the blog postings. On the average, I have taken about 100 photographs for each blog posting here, so only a small subset of the photographs survive this far.

Of course, I'm just a beginner compared to many others, such as Andreas Manessinger, who has well over 1300 postings as of this writing.

Originally I was planning to write a longer posting to celebrate the occasion, but what the hell, is 1000 any more special than, say 1587?

On the other hand, I can't help speculating about new cameras. There is a nice overview of the new Sony cameras, titled 24 Hours with Sony's NEX-3 & NEX-5. Based on the overview, it seems that these mirrorless cameras are quite nice, although there are user interface problems which spoil the fun in more demanding use. But I guess Sony may be able to improve the interface to the point when the cameras are tempting indeed.

One thing I didn't know about Sony cameras were the Sweep Panorama and Twilight Hand-held modes, both of which basically use a kind of stiching techology to generate either a much larger or a better-quality image. The Sweep Panorama mode joins in-camera up to 60 images while you slowly move the camera across the landscape. And in the Twilight Hand-held mode the camera captures six images in succession, layering the best parts into an optimized image file. These sound interesting technologies indeed, and probably will appear elsewhere.

But at least for now I'm very pleased with my LX3. It allows all kinds of experiments in photography. What I have learned is that there are endless paths to explore, and I feel that I know less about photography the more I take photographs. Of course, it would be bad the other way around, so no complaints.

9 comments:

stephanie clara said...

congratulations with your 1000th posting :)

Jarno said...

Congrats Juha and thank you for your work to keep up us inspired as well! You have often shown how it is possible to find small wonders of the nature just from "backyard".
Especially it is nice to follow the circle of the year in Finland from your colorful photos.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Juhaa! It has been and is always a pleasure to stop over, look and read.

bill birtch said...

Congratulations Juhaa. I always look forward to looking at and reading your posts.

Juha Haataja said...

Thanks! Indeed, the camera is a tool for discovering things - in the backyard and everywhere else.

Steve Skinner said...

I have enjoyed every post!

Andrea said...

Congrats on 1000 post I have a long way to go as yet I enjoy your photos very much so keep up the great work - very inspiring!

Andreas said...

Congratulations! Well, 1000 or 1300, not much of a difference, and you make definitely more images than I do :)

I think it's maybe the first few months that are hard. After a year it's a habit, later on it becomes an obsession. I guess that's where we are now :D

Cheers!

Juha Haataja said...

@Andreas: Indeed!