Thursday, August 7, 2014

With painted wooden sticks

Here are three photographs hastily taken in Arktikum museum at Rovaniemi. I didn't correct the flaws in these photographs in post-processing, let them be as they were. But I recommend highly the exhibitions as Arktikum, they were of top quality and well presented.

One of the attractions was a photography exhibition by Pekka Sammallahti, titled Arctic Mindscapes, which was there until 3rd of August. Somehow I managed to confuse Pekka Sammallahti with Pentti Sammallahti, who is my all-time favorite photographer, and at first I was a bit disappointed not to see the kind of photographs I was expecting.

But when I had looked at the photographs for a while (none of them is shown here), I realized the quiet strength of them, for example a photograph which was mostly black-and-white, except for an iceberg floating on the sea, showing blue color.

Pekka and Pentti Sammallahti are brothers. Pekka Sammallahti is a professor at Oulu university, specializing in Saami language and culture. Pentti Sammallahti is a world-famous photographer.

(Posting title is from the poem Culture and the Universe by Simon J. Ortiz.)

No comments: