Saturday, August 15, 2009

Tao Te Ching and Spotify - old and new


Nymphalis io, originally uploaded by jiihaa.


Shoe, originally uploaded by jiihaa.


Spider, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

I have been reading Tao Te Ching (translation by Derek Lin), which is said to be written by a sage named Lao Tzu over 2,500 years ago. It is slow going, and half of the stuff (despite the annotation) doesn't seem to make sense.

Also, I'm testing out Spotify, a new music-listening service with a wide collection. Works ok, but I'm not yet convinced a service of this type can survive in the long run. But as it is free, it is easy to test out.

Also, here are three photographs in color. All are subjects I have used previously, but I like these anyway. All were taken today, at the Pirttimäki outdoor area.

4 comments:

Paul said...

Wow! That moth is absolutely gorgeous. As for the Tao, it takes a while to understand. It is filled with paradoxes and, if you stick with it for a while, you will eventually start to understand some of it. It is not something that you read in an evening.

I've had the book for well over a year, perhaps closer to two and am about half way through it. It takes a long while to digest. I have to read it multiple times before gaining some nugget of understanding.

Juha Haataja said...

This is a very courageous butterfly, you can take photographa really close to it.

And there is indeed a lot to think about in the Tao Te Ching.

Bill Birtch said...

Juha, I first read Lao Tzu about 20 years ago and still find new meaning in the Tao Te Ching. More recently I came across a little book written by Brian walker and titled Hua Hu Ching, also by Lao
Tzu, and which I find much easier to read. In fact it has become one of my all time favourites in this genre. I highly recommend it.

Nice capture of the moth.

Juha Haataja said...

@Bill: Thanks for the hint on "Hua Hu Ching", I'll have a look at it.