Saturday, October 24, 2009

Stumps (and a word on a photography competition)


Fallen, originally uploaded by jiihaa.


Stump, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Here are two more photographs from today in the square format. I guess there are some possibilities with the format, but it is indeed challenging.

Some time ago I took part in a nature photography competition organized by the staff of our company. This week I learned that an image of mine had won. It was a photograph of icicles taken at the Ahvenkoski hydroelectric power plant.

I was surprised, as I'm not really into nature photography. Of course, landscape and nature are interesting for me, but I'm not taking "nature photographs", just photographs. In fact, some of the published nature photography is so "industrially made" that it doesn't interest me at all.

I posted the images here in January, the winning image is the last one. We went to visit the city of Kotka and there was plenty to see. In fact, some of the photographs from the visit look even nicer than I remembered.

2 comments:

Markus said...

Congratulations! An occasional pat on the back comes always in handy! It is not unusual that the first choice of others does not coincide with ours - in fact it makes the whole thing even more interesting. I had a look at the images you pointed to, and my favourite clearly was the 2nd one.
Same with todays pictures - I also prefer #2. In my eyes it's a bit more complicated, gives the eyes more work to recognize the stump. But wonderful fall colors you have, definitely!

Juha Haataja said...

Thanks! Indeed, it is sometimes hard to know what images are interesting to others.

Although there is always the formulaic recipe of "two-thirds", lots of saturated colors and something cute in the foreground... But this soon becomes tedious.