Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Sliding


Slide, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Shorter and shorter they get - the days. Still three weeks or so to the shortest day of they year. And we keep on having rainy and clouded weather.

By the way, I wrote a short piece about the best camera for learning photography. (In Finnish, MikroPC magazine, Mikä kamera valokuvauksen opiskeluun?.)

Edit: Something to ponder, a book about our ecological footprint: Time to Eat the Dog: The real guide to sustainable living. But what about children? (We have three.)

5 comments:

Markus said...

Re. Time to eat the dog: I gave a short review about this book to my kids (we also have three), and of course the threatened to tar and feather me. But I can't deny that there's some truth in it: The west distributes better quality (and oecologically more expensive) pet food than many humans in the south have for their daily meals. So our adopted cat primarily feeds on mice (at least when I am around).

Juha Haataja said...

I'm using this as a defense towards pets at home... Have to see how it goes.

Markus said...

Well, this is a pretty intellectual defense line - kids react more emotionally and don't want to hear rational arguments. The only consolation is that they will grow up and after a while have other topics than "Daddy, I do want a cat/guinea pig/dog/jackrabbit". But it can get exhausting.

Juha Haataja said...

Of course, it is often a question of peer pressure: a friend has a cat/dog/horse, I need to have one as well. With all the commercials it is hard indeed to not give up and buy, buy, buy...

Markus Spring said...

Don't talk about peer pressure: we have the discussion about a Nintendo DS going on. As we denied it to our eldest daughter, now we cannot give in for sake of being consequential. Definitely hard, and buying with revolving credit cards (which I get offered monthly) would be much easier (paying comes later...)