Sunday, January 16, 2011

Angry Birds


Skiing, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Forest, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Fir, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Blur, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Pine, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

This is off-topic regarding photography, but a visual thing neverthless. I have played (and so have the children) the Angry Birds game during the last few days on our Mac at home, and it is quite addictive. I thought I was immune to computer games, since 1987 or so when I played quite a lot, but apparently not. This game is rather catching.

I bought the game from the Mac App Store when it came available, and rather good investment it has been. Hours and hours of fun.

I tried to understand why Angry Birds works so well as a game. At first I though it is just the human skill of throwing things which is in the core of the game, but then I started to think differently. It must be the tinkerer in us which is hooked: we want to know how each puzzle works, what is the right combination of triggers that solves the puzzle.

Coming back to photography, I was debating whether to buy Aperture from the App Store, as there was quite a discount, but as I have both Photoshop and LightZone on the Mac (and don't use either much), I decided to pass. I'm still in the "no post-processing" phase, trying to get the photograph right in camera. Although I do sometimes - seldom - correct the exposure a bit or make a little bit of cropping.

I went skiing today, for 1 1/2 hours, and it was good. At first I just wanted to get exercise, but then I started to take photographs as well, often while skiing. The motion blur is an interesting tool for photography, and it can be quite selective, blurring other things and keeping something else absolutely sharp.

In fact, I'm starting to think my interest in motion blur may be because of the small sensor and large DOF of the LX3: with motion blur I can simulate a large-sensor camera, selectively blurring things in the frame. Of course, the results are quite random and you have to take many photographs to get one that is any good.

3 comments:

MIke said...

Have you just tried using iPhoto on your mac? It is more than good enough for most light post-processing and much easier to organize things then photoshop.

Aperture is nice, but only worth it if you do more serious post-processing.

Juha Haataja said...

@Mike: Yes, I forgot to say that I'm using iPhoto for almost all photo editing. After upgrading to the new version (9.1) I'm very happy with iPhoto, despite the not-so-good face recognition feature. Well, it's not a feature I particularly need, anyway.

Joel Thomas Michalski said...

I'm an amateur photography enthusiast and I upgraded to Aperture for the simple reason that it allowed so much more control over categorizing photos - I think it's totally worth it. And yes, it does have better editing capabilities but I like your approach of making the camera do the work of making a good photograph.