Thursday, November 29, 2012

All the cities are like you anyway

So far we have got 8 cm of snow today. I commuted by bicycle, and even though I had 10 m/s headwind in the morning, snow wasn't much a problem, as in most places the wind had cleared the bicycle path. In some places snowdrifts had formed, and then one had to be careful with steering.

When I returned home there were more snowdrifts, but riding the bicycle was still quite all right. The wind direction had shifted and thus I didn't have a proper backwind, but at least I didn't have to go against the wind. It took 57 minutes to get home, only about 7 minutes more than usual, not bad. And with a car it would probably have taken longer, looking at the queues on the road.

I installed today a new wireless ADSL modem router. My old setup was a separate ADSL modem and a wireless base station, and there were a lot of wires and separate power units. There started to be breaks almost each day, requiring restart, and that was tiresome after a while.

The new box was surprisingly easy to set up, and connecting our five devices took only a little time. I remember how it has been sometimes, not getting things to work even after reading the instructions again and again. Well, I guess this technology is rather mainstream these days.

(Posting title is from the poem Drift by Brenda Shaughnessy.)

2 comments:

ken bello said...

Looks like you're in full Winter mode. We have had only a little snow so far but I expect that to change in the weeks to come.
Really like those bike shot, though.

Juha Haataja said...

Ken, thanks! Having over 20 cm of snow really changed the landscape, especially when some of it stuck on the trees and painted them white also.

And it seems that the snow will stay for a while as it is getting colder, temperatures of -25 ”C may be here within a week.