Wednesday, December 20, 2017

The short and simple annals of the poor

The photographs were taken in Petikko on November 18th.

My bicycle overshoes are quite worn out, and keep on slipping. I ordered new ones, of different type, because those I have were no longer available. So it often happens these days. I guess when you find something that fits and performs well you should order an extra copy (or two) to replace the old gear when it gets worn out.

While I did shopping on the net I had a look at other bicycle gear in addition to overshoes. I have a Schwalbe Marathon Winter tire in the front and a Suomi Tyres W106 tire in the back. But are studded, with 240 studs in the front and 106 studs in the back. The front tire starts to get old, and I had a look at possible replacements. There are three versions of the Schwalbe tire for 28 inch wheels, and for the first time I realized that they have a weight limit: 80 kg, 90 kg or 115 kg.

Before getting a Suomi Tyres W106 tire, I had a Schwalbe tire in the back, and it got worn out rather fast. Perhaps the reason was that it was the one that is rated 80 kg, and when one adds my weight, the weight of the bicycle, and the weight of the bag I'm carrying, the limit is easily exceeded. One other other hand, most other tires don't seem to have a weight limit, so one wonders whether that is due to a less sturdy construction of the Schwalbe tires.

(Posting title is from the poem Elegy Written in a Country Churchyard by Thomas Gray.)

No comments: