Wednesday, December 16, 2009

A 52-minute walk: 425 kcal


Helsinki view, originally uploaded by jiihaa.


Biomedicum, originally uploaded by jiihaa.


Box, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Today I had two meetings in Helsinki, the first at Palace and the second at Biomedicum. I happened to have the LX3 with me so I took a couple of photographs when parking the car. It was nice clear weather, -10 °C.

Late evening we went for a walk with the wife. I used the Polar heart-rate monitor watch once again. I so happened that the walk took exactly the same amount of time as yesterday, 52 minutes.

But today we walked much more slowly, so it was a surprise that the watch reported that more energy was consumed during the walk: 425 kcal instead of 385 kcal. But after thinking about this a bit, the explanation may be self-evident: when taking it a bit more slowly the body is better able to burn fat, thus the result of the exercise is better.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi!

I just bought a Lx3 and i am looking forward to learn how to use it properly. I live in the north of sweden and was glad to see those beatifule pictures you´ve taken in the cold. I am a newbie att manual photo so any hint and tips would be nice to get.

-Björn

Juha Haataja said...

Well, for night shooting I'm mainly using aperture priority, although the 8 s max exposure is sometimes too little, them full manual is needed. Manual focusing works great, especially with the new firmware which remembers the current settings, worth trying out definitely.