Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Trees (and learning how to see)


Birch, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Sunset colors, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Branching, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Branches, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Have I mentioned that I like trees? Oh yes, several times. But here goes once again: trees are my favorite subject. And here are many of them. All straight jpegs from the camera (LX3), no post-processing whatever.

Mark Hobson wrote about how to learn to see. I must admit I'm one of those who is not satisfied with my skills in this department.

However, it doesn't much matter, because photography is fun in any case. And even though I admit that putting some effort to learning would probably improve the results, I'm not willing to approach photography too seriously. Fun, that is the key.

2 comments:

David said...

What an interesting question.

Like you, I am not satisfied with my tree-seeing abilitiies. If I find a lone tree or a lone copse of trees that I can photograph in their entirety, then it seems to work OK.

But seeing parts of trees or trees that are mixed in with others with no obvious 'end' is more of a problem.

I don't have the same problem with flowers and I think that is because I have a clearer mental picture of what I am seeking, which is the sensuous curves of flowers.

You have definitely got me thinking about this. I shall go and contemplate some trees.

All the best

Juha Haataja said...

Comtemplation of trees, that sounds very good!