Saturday, August 24, 2013

The slopes of our lives where the emotions and needs sprout

Earlier this week I started thinking about making a longer ride on the bicycle during the weekend, and this morning I decided to do it. I thought it would be interesting to ride to Solvalla in Nuuksio.

I was a bit sleepy in the morning, not paying enough attention to the route, and so I made a wrong turn, riding a road which lead to south of lake Bodom instead of Solvalla. I had to circle back, which took about 20 minutes. The road to Solvalla was in excellent condition, going up and down hills. During one downhill part the speedometer showed 53 km/h, but the speed limit was 60 km/h so no problem.

I rested for some minutes at Solvalla, by Haltia Nature Center, where a lot of other people on bicycle also stopped. For the return I went another route, not along the road but along the walking paths between Solvalla and Pirttimäki, where Route 2000 goes. This route is very hilly, and I had to walk up several of the hills, and downhill one had to be careful and use the brakes a lot. I got somewhat tired during this part, but from Pirttimäki forward there was road once again, and the hills weren't so steep any more.

All in all this was a nice trip to make, three hours and 50 km. Afterwards I was quite tired, but in a pleasant way. Maybe this trip is something to try again if there is a weekend with sunny but reasonably cool weather, such as we have today.

The photographs were taken at Nuuksio on August 10th.

(Posting title is from the poem Hymn to Life by James Schuyler.)

No comments: