Saturday, February 13, 2016

Aren’t my eyes bigger than love?

The photographs were taken on January 18th in Helsinki.

This morning I walked for 2 1/2 hours in Nuuksio, starting from Velskola, circling around lake Kattilajärvi, and returning via lake Vääräjärvi. There were three men ice fishing on lake Kattilajärvi. They seemed to know what they were doing, but I didn't walk on the lake ice, as there was plenty of signs of flooding.

When crossing a swamp which was covered by ice, there was water flowing on top of the ice, and I walked very carefully. However, at one spot the ice was hollow from below, and I fell through, but luckily the hollow space was mostly empty of water.

In some places there was 30 cm of snow in Nuuksio. The new snow was sticking to trees, so the landscape looked like winter. There were some great tits, a black woodpecker, and three ravens.

(Posting title is from the poem In Love with You by Kenneth Koch.)

No comments: