Thursday, July 30, 2009

Tourist views of Brussels


Fishy, originally uploaded by jiihaa.


Atomium, originally uploaded by jiihaa.


Clouds reflected, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Here are three images of Brussels. All are quick snapshots take as a tourist. It is (for me) very difficult to take good photographs in an unfamiliar place, and Brussels was no exception. Brussels was in some parts surprisingly dirty and smelly, but there were also shiny new bits.

Update: I realized only later that the waterway through Brussels which I thought was a river is in fact the Brussels-Charleroi Canal. The river Zenne/Senne has been covered up underground since long time ago, because it was so polluted. But there is still a certain smell around Brussels, though. And it seems that many old buildings are not taken care of properly either, which is a big contrast to the big fancy glass and steel buildings which have been build recently.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Welcome to my city! As I work here and live near, it is a constant source of pictures for me. You can see a collection of my Brussels pictures on flickr here. This is my favourite Atomium picture, and here is the building I work in...

I hope you enjoyed your stay!

Juha Haataja said...

It was a nice visit, especially walking around in various regions of the city. Food was good also, lots of places to choose from.