Friday, July 3, 2009

A note on SoFoBoMo '09


Yellow leaf, originally uploaded by jiihaa.


Pieces, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

As I wrote here earlier, I made a printed version of my SoFoBoMo '09 book with Blurb. I have received a printed copy, and it wasn't bad, although the colors were overall a bit dark, due to the paper which was a bit too thin for such images. The cover succeeded excellently, though. But I won't do any more tweaking of the book - the PDF version is (with its flaws) good enough, and that is what matters.

I have browsed a couple of dozen of the finished SoFoBoMo photobooks, with great pleasure. One aspect which I find good about these book is that they are more spontaneous and non-polished that much of the usual photography shown.

Thus, you can see glimpses of work-in-progress, and even occasional failures, which are very instructive. You learn more from the failures than from the masterpieces. By the way, this is one of the strengths of Freeman's book "The Photographers Eye", it contains different versions of the same scene and you can decide by yourself what are the strengths of each version.

Here are two images from today, striving towards simple things.

No comments: