Saturday, September 11, 2010

Mushroom season - and some thoughts on the Panasonic LX5


Mushrooms, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Mushrooms, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Mushroom, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Wet autumn: mushrooms thrive. Some of them provide good subjects for photography. Well, at least mushroms don't try to run away.

I had today a look at the Panasonic DMC-LX5 user manual, titled Basic Operating Instructions. This is a short book, not much more than the basics, but it contains enough information to show that the use of the LX5 is very much similar to the LX3, although the joystick has been replaced with a jog dial. And this is a good thing.

However, I'm not going to buy the LX5, as it doesn't seem to offer enough improvements to justify the (rather high) price. And my LX3 is going strong - today I bypassed the milestone of 125,000 photographs taken with it. The last photograph shown here is #125,015.

2 comments:

Andreas said...

Beautiful as always. I could comment on almost every image, and therefore I do it on almost none. Still, from time to time I have to, otherwise you'd get the feeling that nobody cares ;)

It have no fear that you could stop though. After 125000 images one does not simply stop. After 125000 images one is beyond simple addiction :D

At the moment I am at about 45000 images with the D300, before that I had around 30000 with the D200. And that in slightly more than 4 years.

Btw, when the D7000 was announced and I decided to not buy it, I felt so satisfied with my decision, that I thought I was entitled to a reward. I sat back, thought for a time what I could want to have and finally found ... nothing. Funny, huh? I can't imagine any lens, any accessory, any anything that I would want to have :)

Well, it will go away, but at the moment it feels good :D

Juha Haataja said...

@Andreas: I guess one could take only 365 photographs in a year and still be extremely productive.

But you are right that it would be extremely hard to stop.

And it is a pity that engineers and marketeers are so good in inventing new needs. There is the perfect camera/lens/... just waiting to be announced.