Sunday, November 21, 2010

Lake views


Shore, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Pier, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Snow, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Birches, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Here are four photographs from two different lakes, taken today while getting some exercise. The weather is getting colder. Today there was a biting wind which made it tough in wide open spaces. But still, it is good to have snow, it makes the landscape feel so light.

By the way, the New York Times discussed today the matter of Google generation a.k.a. digital natives, in an article titled Growing Up Digital, Wired for Distraction: "Students have always faced distractions and time-wasters. But computers and cellphones, and the constant stream of stimuli they offer, pose a profound new challenge to focusing and learning. [...] Researchers say the lure of these technologies, while it affects adults too, is particularly powerful for young people. The risk, they say, is that developing brains can become more easily habituated than adult brains to constantly switching tasks — and less able to sustain attention."

As I wrote earlier, this is an important and interesting topic. Are we getting dumber, and the young people most of all?

3 comments:

Cedric said...

Education is a topic I am greatly interested in also as I have two children in school. I do find it interesting to watch how my children study. They have 4 or 5 things going on at once but I can't say much about it because they are both A students so it would be stupid for me to try and tell them that they are doing it all wrong.

I think one of the many issues that plagues the education system today is that we are in a transitory phase where digital immigrants are teaching digital natives and it's not working too well. I think the old methods of teaching simply do not work with the kids today. Also I don't think we're getting dumber or perhaps I should say I don't think the newer generations are any dumber or smarter than previous ones. They just function differently and the old paradigms of learning no longer apply.

But much of what I think on the subject is best expressed by Sir Ken Robinson in his talk "Changing Education Paradigms".

Cedric said...

I forgot to add, I am enjoying your images of snow. As I'll be in France with my family soon I am hoping that we'll be lucky enough to see some. My kids have never seen snow so it would be great to share that first time experience with them.

Juha Haataja said...

@Cedric: Thanks for the link! I hope you manage to see snow in France.