Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Moments - decisive or not?


Red, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Street, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Dark, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Here are three photographs from today. Another dark day, especially as it was raining most of the day, with thick dark clouds covering the sky.

Did you notice the leaping man in the second photograph of the "shopping" posting from yesterday. The poster of the leaping man was in a shop where we were looking for a desk, and I had just a moment to see the poster, hastily compose, and press the button.

I had been tweaking the settings on my LX3, and accidentally I used my "dark" settings, with exposure compensation set at - 2/3 EV. So the photograph is a bit underexposed. But yesterday I didn't have time for post-processing, and I any case I try to get it right in the camera. This time I slipped.

However, the photograph intrigued me. I didn't have time to look at the text in the shop, but I managed finally identify the photograph to some extent: Hulton Collection, Hyde Park - London, 1929. You can see it here.

But it would be nice to know more about this. Do you know more?

What caught my interest in the poster is the similarity the the famous leaping man photograph of HCB, which you can see here. And here. This photograph was taken in Paris in 1932. Hmmm...

4 comments:

Chad said...

I like your photo titled "Red".

Sven W said...

Yes, definitely "Red" for me ... the impact is visceral as I can imagine driving my car and being confronted by brake lights.

Well spotted with the "leaping man". In many ways I prefer the 1929 Hyde Park picture: it feels more "open" and I can imagine myself trying such a leap. The HCB image is dark and furtive; we are very much the observer.

Anonymous said...

"Red" is excellent!

Ok, Juha, here is the next one 4 u, the Lumix DMC-GF2:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/1011/10110405panasonicgf2.asp



Art


----------------

Juha Haataja said...

Thanks!

@Sven: Indeed - have to wonder why this HCB photograph is such a famous one.

@Art: Indeed - they keep coming up. However, the GF2 I guess doesn't have image stabilization in the body, so it wouldn't be such a good one for low-light photography. For example with the 20 mm pancake lens. Or has Panasonic changed their strategy?