Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Will you get me out of this bird suit?

I'm feeling a bit better, after taking some antihistamin yesterday night, which helped with the nose, it doesn't burn so badly any more. But there are symptoms of weakness still, little aches in the joints and muscles. But no fever, just headache, throat soreness and pain in the nose.

Here are some photographs taken today, from the car and from a little slow walk which I managed to do just before sunset.

Today at lunch I listened a colleague telling a story of how to take a photograph of an owl catching a mice on top of a snow field. He told about the constraints, that with his Canon (?) he was able to shoot 8 frames per second, but the buffer only holds 42 photographs, so one has to be able to anticipate the place where the catch will take place. And even then there are challenges in getting the focus right, and so on. And all the waiting to get those few shots that matter.

I just couldn't do anything like that. In fact, I feel that if a rare bird would land in front of my camera, I would wait for it to fly away, and then take a photograph. For some reason I'm interested in the ordinary, common moments, daily moments when there is nothing really unique about them, and at the same time everything is unique.

(Posting title is from the poem Siren Song by Margaret Atwood.)

2 comments:

ken bello said...

That's one of the reasons it's so nice to visit here.

Juha Haataja said...

@ken: Well, the really nice thing is taking photographs, and I do hope I never get tired of it.