Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Embracing the darkness, not fighting it


Autumn, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Mushroom, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Turn, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Tail lights, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Yesterday I was tired and almost unwilling to go out to take photographs. Today I didn't feel much better, and the day was uninspiring - after several weeks of dry weather we are having plenty of rain and clouds. It was dark even at noon today.

But when I was walking in the rain, suddenly taking photographs felt good. I was seeing and learning. And that is all that matters.

I have had the same feeling every once in a while, and it is not an indicator that the photographs are any good. In fact, the photographs may be quite awful. But that is learning by failing. As they say, "Masters are masters at learning." And, "Living things grow."

What I did today was to try to adapt to the darkness, to see it.

Speaking of the darkness, did you see what Paul Lester did with the Canon S90 at ISO 3200? Quite a result, no noise which would feel disturbing (and what there is fits the subject). I'm not willing to press the LX3 to such limits - I stay below ISO 400 and when needed use a mini-tripod.

1 comment:

stephanie clara said...

Hello,

I really like this post and I hope you don't mind I copied your words in my blog.

stephanie