Saturday, March 31, 2012

One year in new shoes

In March, 2011, I bought new Sievi shoes for hiking in the forests (model SIEVI GT 16 S3). The shoes looked rather fine then, and I thought that it would be nice to take a photograph of them one year later, for comparison.

Well, above you see what has happened to the shoes. They are not so fine any more, but in excellent condition nevertheless.

I have walked about 1200-1500 km with the shoes in one year, in all kinds of weather, from +15 °C to -28 °C. I have gotten them completely wet - Goretex does not help if you step up to your knee in a puddle - very muddy, and abused them in various other ways.

But the shoes seem to be durable. In the instruction leaflet there was the text "if you take prooperly care of the shoes they will last a very long time", and I believe it.

However, I have to say that I have not pushed the shoes to the limit as I described a year ago: "Impact protection for the toes is said to be 200 Joules, and compression 15000 Newtons. Heat resistance of the soles is 300 °C, and the steel midsole has penetration resistance of 1100 Newtons. Energy absorption of the seat region is min. 20 Joules. And then there is Gore-tex for waterproofing."

No comments: