Saturday, December 13, 2014

And fallen fallen light renew!

I got today 2 1/2 hours of exercise before noon, and now I'm thinking whether I should go for another walk after sunset. Maybe, maybe not. The length of day is now 5 h 53 min, and still going down.

There is about 5 cm of snow on the ground, 2-3 cm less than early in the morning. And it seems that the temperature will drop to -2 °C during the night, so the snow will remain until Monday at least.

I have had the Panasonic LX100 for six weeks now, and have taken about 6,500 photographs with it. The camera has been a pleasure to use, and I'm slowly learning to take advantages of the improvements compared to the LX3/LX5.

Also, there are some drawbacks, such as the much shallower depth-of-field, so I'm learning to use smaller aperture to guarantee that the whole subject is sharp enough. Sometimes I want shallow DOF, but usually I don't.

Of course, in situations where there is little light available, which is usually the case this time of the year, there is not much choice than to use the largest aperture, but even then I'm often preferring to raise the sensitivity by a stop or two to allow a more generous DOF.

(Posting title is from the poem Introduction to the Songs of Experience by William Blake.)

No comments: