Sunday, July 5, 2015

One person in a million finds out something

This morning I walked for three hours in Nuuksio. I wanted to see whether Gavia stellata are nesting on a lake where I saw a pair last year. And so it was, there was a pair with two young ones. One of them was begging for food, and the other one was silent. But when the absent parent returned to the lake from a fishing expedition, the quiet one was the fastest to go and get a meal.

On the way back I passed another lake, and heard a familiar sound. First I thought that the parent was fishing on this lake, but then I noticed a young bird as well. And soon the other parent returned, with a meal.

So, in four days I have seen four pairs of Gavia stellata at four different lakes. Three pairs had two young ones, and one pair just one. Despite the cool weather it hasn't been a bad summer for Gavia stellata. I'm happy for them.

These photographs were taken on June 18th in Sipoonkorpi National Park. I'm lagging behind in postings, as there are so many photographs taken recently. But this is not a bad problem to have.

(Posting title is from the poem Bel Canto by Kenneth Koch.)

No comments: