Saturday, January 2, 2016

Eyes stop

The photographs were taken at lake Suolikas on December 19th.

This morning I walked for 2 hours 45 minutes at Meiko, exploring Grenomossen swamp, which was frozen and easy to walk across. When returning I visited lake Lappträsk and lake Meiko. On lake Meiko there were people ice fishing and skating.

In the posting for yesterday I wrote that I didn't see anyone at Vaakkoi, not even a dog. Late in the evening I realized that in fact I saw something and wondered why I had forgotten it. Near lake Iso Lehmälampi there was a dog who started barking when I was at 50 meters distance.

To make the dog silent, the owner shouted a Finnish swear word - "Perkele!" - and it was really something extraordinary. The shouter was a smallish elderly lady, but her voice was extremely loud and quite deep, perhaps the voice of a smoker and a drinker, and the way she shouted, it was as if all the mistakes and disappointments in a life had been included in that one word: "Perkele!".

(Sidenote: the Finnish language is lush with swear words for all possible occasions.)

I didn't hear any sounds from the dog after the swear word, so it was quite effective.

(Posting title is from the poem Dope by Amiri Baraka.)

No comments: