Thursday, November 13, 2008

Photography in the dark


Umbrellas in play, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Today appeared one of the most embarrasing camera reviews ever, discussing the LX3. Here is the verdict: "The Panasonic LX3 is one of the very few digital cameras that I would consider buying for myself. It is a superbly designed and immensely capable all-purpose compact that will satisfy any keen photographer, but is also capable of producing good results in the hands of a novice. Build quality, performance and versatility are all of the highest order, and image quality is as good as ever gets. It may seem expensive, but I think it would be money well spent."

Although I like using my LX3 very much, I think the reviewer went overboard with praise. No camera is perfect (the LX3 got a 10/10 rating), and there definitely are some issues which I would like to be corrected (such as settings for default focusing distance and zoom). But at least the reviewer had clearly used the camera, and in parts the review was quite instructive. Even worse are those reviews where the reviewer has no clue and demolishes a camera based on wrong assumptions.

The umbrella photo was taken today at night, when it was raining and dark, only some street lamps giving illumination. Once again, motion blur could not be avoided, and perhaps it is not such a bad thing. I don't like using the flash, but one of these day I may have to resort to using it.

4 comments:

doonster said...

Really like this photo. I get the impression of kids in rubber boots having fun splashing their way home from school (and parents rather less impressed by the clothes that inevitably need drying).

Juha Haataja said...

It is indeed so that the kids find bad weather inspirational, but parents usually see only the dirt.

Andreas said...

That's an incredibly good image. Perfect :)

Juha Haataja said...

When using manual focusing there is no focus lag on the LX3, so I could try "action shooting" here. However, most of the shot I thought promising did not really work out. This one did better.