Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Say the moment arrives

There is something to be said for blur, both of the motion and of the bokeh kind.

Today I haven't taken a single photograph yet. I commuted by bicycle, and it was quite cold, +1 °C when I got home.

Some random observations of the LX100 camera:

  • The battery lasted for over 600 photographs with the first charge. Not bad, considering that I did a lot of going through the menus, setting up the camera, etc. In normal use the amount is probably much more. With the LX5 I got up to 1400 photographs with one charge of the battery.
  • When taking longer walks I used to carry the LX5 in my left hand hanging from a small mini-tripod. It was rather instinctive to raise the camera, switch it on and to take a photograph. In fact, I needed to take off the lens cover but right now I have no idea at what point this happened, it was ingrained in muscle memory. The LX100 has such a good grip and a thumb rest that I'll probably carry it in my right hand, ready for shooting.

Well, there will be probably quite a lot of similar things to note about the LX100 when I get to know the camera. I'll append the notes to the page where I already have collected observations about the LX100.

(Posting title is from the poem Snapshots with Wide Apertures Shown on the Road by Pimone Triplett.)



2 comments:

Markus said...

Good to read that the LX100 makes you happy (kind of), Juha! But then you were always of the persevering kind - which in the end brought you the beautiful results you are achieving, almost regardless of the camera. And this attitude most probably is the only one that will result in success, not the feverish constant trading of one camera for the next "even better" one.

Juha Haataja said...

Thank you, Markus. The novelty always wears off. The really interesting thing is the long and lovely though sometimes thorny path of learning. This is to be cherished.

I feel happy to have other people from whom to learn the right attitude, such as yourself. And there is Andreas with bicycles and lines, and also there are the Weese weeds, and so on, a real feast to ponder and learn from.