Thursday, November 6, 2014

The darkness bears a shine as yet unpunished by clarity

I commuted by bicycle today. In the morning it was cold (-0 °C) but dry. But on the way home it was snowing and there was freezing rain as well, and in some places the road was extremely slippery. On the bicycle I had slick summer tires, not studded winter tires. I slipped sideways a couple of times, but stayed upright.

You had to really concentrate on riding the bicycle to cope with the road conditions. I saw four or five people walking with a bicycle, it was that bad. But I got safely home. That took over one hour instead of the typical 45-50 minutes.

Above you see some photographs taken at night with the LX100. Speaking of the LX100, I got some comments and questions at the LX100 observations page, many of them concerning manual focusing.

This reminded me of the lovely Minolta XG-1, my first camera, which was in retrospect a great camera to learn about photography: manual focus and aperture priority was the way to go then. I took the XG-1 out from the storage shelf, dusty but still intact, and below you see how you can determine DOF for different apertures when using such a camera.


(Posting title is from the poem Vincent, Homesick for the Land of Pictures by Peter Gizzi.)

No comments: