Tuesday, February 10, 2009

An experiment in black and white


Pylon, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

I'm not sure it there are separately black and white photographers and color photographers, but nowadays black and white is not so popular. Perhaps it has something to do with the digital, it seems that it is really difficult to get the tones right, especially so that the shadows have something besides just blackness. Every once in a while I have tried to take black and white photographs, but rarely has there been anything worthwhile. Of this photograph here I'm actually a little bit proud. It is more a photograph "made" than "taken" - I got exactly the framing I wanted, and it also got the tones about right with a little bit of tweaking in LightZone. (Although the blacks may be a bit too black.)

No comments: