Thursday, February 19, 2009

Recovering


Trees and lights (blurry), originally uploaded by jiihaa.

I'm still weak from the stomach bug, but the worst seems to be over. I couldn't spend much time in vertical orientation yesterday, but horizontal was mostly fine, except for occasional waves of pain in the stomach. During the night I also had a bit of fever and headache, but that also seemed to come in waves. I have tried to drink a lot, which seemed to help.

There was not much else to do, so I continued reading books. I'm currently 3/4 through the book "The Chinese" by Henning Mankell (original title "Kinesen", I'm reading the Finnish translation).

There are surprising similarities with "The White Tiger", though more on the subject matter and not so on the plot - poverty, climbing to the top of the society (China vs. India), revenge. But Mankell is not as convincing as Aravind Adiga in describing a completely foreign society. (Or course, Aravind Adiga lives in India, so that explains a lot.) And Mankell seems to have quite a strong political agenda and thus many of his characters don't quite seem human, more like caricatures and puppets.

The photograph is once again from Tuesday, just after sunset when the sky gets colorful.

2 comments:

Andreas said...

Hmm ... I know, never tell a photographer how to crop, but I like this image, and the bright line coming in from the lower right constantly pulls me away from the two trees. Just for an experiment I have just tried to crop from the right to an exact square ... and I like that even more :)

Juha Haataja said...

Square cropping - I have done it once in a while, but never thought of it here. Yes, it would work rather well.