Friday, August 6, 2010

Going out for a loop


Loops, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Fireweed, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Today, while I was commuting to work using a bicycle, and had time to think about this and that. For some reason I started to think about the Finnish word for loop - "lenkki" - which is used in the meaning of getting exercise.

So we say "I'm going out for a loop" ("menen ulos lenkille") when we mean that we are going to get some exercise by running/walking/skiing etc.

It is interesting to note that "lenkki" is a topological concept - loop comes around, back where you started. And this is usually the case. You go out for a loop, come back, take a shower, drink a little, and that is it.

But when commuting by a bicycle, I have never said that I'm going for a loop, although in principle I'm doing exactly the same thing, except not returning to the same point where I started.

The bicycle commute of 26 km provides plenty of exercise. I have measured, using the Polar heart rate monitor, that this consumes 1000-1200 kcal of energy, which is quite nice exercise for a day.

Of course, you could say that commuting by bicycle is a loop anyway, because I return to home in the afternoon. Why then you don't hear the word "lenkki" used here? It must be that the topological meaning is, well, deep.

Which reminds me that "lenkki" has also another meaning in Finland, referring to a kind of sausage. You probably guess what shape the sausage has. But luckily you never get confused, so something like the following won't probably happen: "I'm going out for a loop." "To eat?" "No, no ... to run."

These two versions of "lenkki" balance each other - after eating one, you go out for the other one.

By the way, we have also another interesting saying in Finland, "for a couple" ("parille"). If someone says "I'm going out for a couple" you might guess what it is about. (No, it is not about coffee, although Finland is leading the coffee consumption statistics.)

In fact, I know of an organization where the discussion forum for non-work related topics is named "parille".

5 comments:

Rich Gift Of Lins said...

I cycle and walk between 250-300km a week, and it's always round one of my regular "loops", or alternatively along a regular "groove". Cycling is a great way to burn calories. I really like today's first image.

Juha Haataja said...

That's quite a lot!

That reminds me of the Eddington number: "The Eddington Number in this context is defined as E, the number of days a cyclist has cycled more than E miles. For example an Eddington Number of 70 would imply that a cyclist has cycled more than 70 miles in a day on 70 occasions."

I discussed this today with a colleague, his number is somewhere near 100.

Juha Haataja said...

Correction to above: we didn't remember the correct definition and discussed the length of a single "loop" (not day) in kilometers. So in miles the number would go down drastically.

Rich Gift Of Lins said...

That is very interesting indeed. I'm sure that I can find lots of opportunities to relate that fact. I suspect my Eddington number is probably somewhere around 70.

Juha Haataja said...

Here it is claimed that Eddingtons number (when he died in 1944) was 87. I haven't seen it confirmed anywhere.