Friday, September 16, 2011

Fly mushroom and other bright things

Amanita muscaria is known in Finnish as "red fly mushroom", and the reason for this is sometimes debated. I have heard claims that the mushroom has been used to kill bugs inside a house, but this feels doubtful.

Anyway, today I noticed an Amanita muscaria which was crawling with bugs, they seemed to love it. Maybe this is the reason for the name?

Here is also a selection of other colorful things. Autumn is progressing now rapidly.

PS. The Amanita photograph was taken at ISO 1600, using the new LX5 firmware. I didn't even bother developing the RAW version of this photograph.

2 comments:

Markus Spring said...

Juha, that ISO 1600 image quality is really fine! I did check the original size on flickr and was really astonished.

Juha Haataja said...

@Markus: Yes, ISO 1600 with the new noise reduction setting was surprisingly good.

Today I realized I had used RAW + standard jpeg. By using fine jpeg one would get even more detail, at least in theory.