Friday, September 28, 2012

She compliments me on my Bachelard pad

Today I went with the children to the movies, to see From Up on Poppy Hill (original name Kokuriko-zaka Kara) directed by Gorō Miyazaki. It was quite a realistic movie, rather different that for example Totoro by Hayao Miyazaki, but the quality of the animation was excellent, and the pictures had an incredible amount of detail of life in Japan in 1963.

Some parts of the movie were perhaps not so well done in Finnish, but mostly the dubbing was good. (A sidenote: movies intended for older audiences are typically not dubbed in Finnish but subtitles are used instead.) The final song of the film was in Japanese, and that was perhaps the best thing about the movie, excellent singing whoever it was performing the song.

Today I caved in and booked the replacement of the old and worn gear hub of my bicycle. However, it will take until November when the needed parts arrive, so I need to survive until then somehow.

Today I got the new iPad and have been trying it out. Writing text on the thing almost drives me mad, I need to tweak the automatic correction stuff or whatever it is that always suggests the wrong words. On the other hand, the retina display is excellent, and photographs look really good.

The first web page (and the first photograph) I looked at on the iPad was this posting by Markus, and it looked excellent. And then I looked at my posting from yesterday, and I did like those photographs as well. I'm hooked. What I need to learn is how to cope with the other stuff, organizing things, working with documents, writing, ...

(Posting title is from the poem Platonic Love by Curt Anderson.)

No comments: