Friday, January 31, 2014

Falling in love with a toothache

These photographs were taken last Saturday at Myllyjärvi, or in fact on Myllyjärvi. I went for a walk with my daughter to three lakes in Luukki: Myllyjärvi, Hauklampi and Hepolampi. We followed the tracks of other people who had explored the lakes before us. Nobody had fallen in so the ice must have been thick enough for walking.

I haven't written much about cameras recently, mainly because the LX5 is still working fine despite the stuck click wheel and occasional other problems which so far have been fixed by removing the battery and then restarting the camera.

However, I have been browsing the hands-on previews of the Olympus OM-D E-M10, which seems to be a fine tool for a photographer, and something I probably would like to be using. But still, it is a bit too big for me, even with the new pancake zoom lens.

Then there is the Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 with the 12-32 mm kit lens. There wouldn't probably be much IQ advantage to the GM1 when compared with the LX7, because of the relatively slow lens. However, the size of the GM1 is rather nice, and the usability would be probably ok also.

The only problem I see is the need for a separate macro lens for closeup photographs, which would complicate things a bit too much for me. A camera (without any extras) that fits a coat pocket is what I would like to carry. What is good is that the kit lens starts at 12 mm, I wouldn't like to have a lens that is any less wide than this.

However, my LX5 is still going strong after 160,000 photographs taken with it. When the LX5 finally breaks there is probably a new crop of fine cameras available for choosing a replacement.

(Posting title is from the poem Instances of Wasted Ingenuity by Dara Wier.)

No comments: