Tuesday, April 1, 2014

You that I followed, my line or path or way

We got some new snow in the middle of March, as shown in these photographs taken on March 15th. I went for a walk in Tremanskärr forests and swamps, exploring the snowy landscape. But the snow didn't last long...

Today was a rather cold day, because of the wind. I commuted by bicycle, and when returning home I had headwind of 6 m/s. The weather forecast said that a little bit of snow would be possible, but I didn't see any.

In the morning when I opened the door, I got a little bit of surprise, namely there was a mostly eaten hedgehog on the path just outside the door. Whoever had done the eating had left a bit of the fur (with the needles) and the brain (which had frozen into a solid clump during the night). I guess a fox may have done it. Or maybe a pet cat on the prowl, but do they eat hedgehogs?

I must admit I know very little of animals. Or birds that matter. I wondered about the whooper swans which I saw at lake Tränuhals, namely how well they can land on ice, especially as the ice in not smooth this time of year but has little holes on the surface, due to all kinds of small things such as needles which have fallen on top and then got melted into the ice when warmed by the sun. So, is there a danger of breaking a leg when a swan lands or takes off from ice?

(Posting title is from the poem You That I Loved by A. F. Moritz.)

No comments: