Sunday, August 31, 2008

A forgotten camera - Canon G-III QL17

The Online Photographer reminded me about this nice camera. We used to have a Canon G-III at home, and I spent quite a few hours trying it out and reading through the manual, and of course taking photos with it. My mother had an ancient 6 x 6 cm camera, which I was not allowed to use, but the Canon G-III was more or less free for me to use.

When I was 15 years old, I got a Minolta XG-1 with a 50 mm f/1.7 lens. I believe that one of the biggest reasons for buying the Minolta SLR (instead of Canon or Pentax) was the f/1.7 aperture on the standard lens.

For some reason, I had completely forgotten about ever using the Canon G-III, but I must have used it for a couple of years in 1970s. When I look at the pictures of the camera, everything comes back together. It would be so familiar to start using it again.

Who knows, perhaps some day I'll get serious about street photography and come back to where I started, a rangefinder.

Update: Browsing the net, I discovered that in 1980, the Canon AE-1 had a 50mm f/1.8 lens, and the Pentax ME had a 50 mm f/1.7 lens, similar to the Minolta XG-1. I must have been the price which made me select the Minolta (both Pentax ME and Minolta XG-1 were aperture-priority, which I very much preferred). I remember looking through lots and lots of camera magazines and brochures before buying my first SLR.

1 comment:

david santos said...

Great!!!
CONGRATULATIONS.