Friday, November 4, 2011

Blue moments - and pretty pictures

Today the sky was clear, but I couldn't enjoy it until after sunset, when I went for a walk. It was the blue moment, which on days like this sometimes results in a dreamlike feeling, and such was the case of today.

There was a little bit of moisture in the air, which softened the landscape, making it look pretty. Or should one use such a word? Well, I felt that is was pretty.

Is is bad to take photographs of something which feels beautiful? Have I become a member of the "pretty picture crowd", to use a phrase of Mark Hobson?

Well, during this dark season, I take what I can get, and even a little bit of beauty is a blessing.

By the way, here is a nice comment by Paul Maxim about "pretty pictures". This is a quote: 'Any photograph, any subject matter, can be “boring”. The opposite is also true. Subject matter is irrelevant when it comes to whether or not an image has some kind of intrinsic value. I’m not denying that there is an awful lot of photographic fluff out there, and much of it takes the form of sunrises or sunsets over iconic locations. [...] However, there is much from such locations that is not “fluff”. Whether it’s work from Adams or Galen Rowell (one of Mark’s favorites), there is plenty to look at and spend time with that’s worthwhile.'

And Andreas Manessinger wrote well about this: "I guess what we artistically pursue, hade or shibui, it all boils down to why we do it. It’s not even a matter of being a leader or a follower, we all are always both of it to a certain extent. No, it’s a matter of why we pursue art. Do we do it essentially for ourself, meaning: are we free, or do we do it to impress, meaning: are we dependent upon positive feedback, do we strive for admiration?"

And I must say that this time of the year, I take pretty pictures for myself: to find something beautiful in the dark and the decay.

4 comments:

Brian Small said...

Here's the old line -- It's your hobby so take whatever kind of photos you want to. There is no need to justify your work. I know you have heard this before but it's still true.
Have a look at my fellow Albertan Dan Jurak's blog: he is the king of the blue (and just about any other colour) landscape. And he makes money at it.
http://danjurak.wordpress.com/

Juha Haataja said...

@Brian: Thanks for the link to Dan Jurak's blog. Pretty pictures, but I like them.

Jurak also has a lot of opinions, interesting ones, although I don't agree will some of them. Mark Hobson and Jurak are almost in opposite corners in their opinions.

Andreas said...

Interesting. My last comment contradicted by what you linked to and what I said a lifetime ago :)

Well, maybe the truth is somewhere in the middle. Comments do nourish, although ultimately they are not why we do it :D

Juha Haataja said...

@Andreas. "... ultimately they are not why we do it" - indeed!

Also, it is good to have a community of peers, even though the interaction by commenting may not be so frequent.