Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Snow had fallen, snow on snow, snow on snow

A lot of fallen trees... These photographs were taken in Meiko on January 26th, walking there with my daughter.

Today I heard about a colleague, news of illness, and I feel bleak; I learned so much of being a trustworthy person, of being open towards possibilities, of being a model for others.

By coincidence I'm currently reading the novel Get a Life by Nadine Gordimer. Some reviewers seem to have hated the book, because it is so black and bleak, describing how a cancer patient thinks about his future, about protecting the vulnerable environment, about the meaning of family. But I find humor in the telling, and is it not fair to write about the dark tones of life as well as the light ones?

(Posting title is from the poem In the bleak midwinter by Christina Rossetti.)

No comments: