Friday, December 26, 2008

Is winter good or bad for photography?


Cattail in ice, originally uploaded by jiihaa.


Black cherry, originally uploaded by jiihaa.


Buds, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

If someone would have asked about my attitude towards winter in August or September, I would probably have said that I look forward to winter, the contrast between the snow and the dark tree and plant silhouettes, the sun low on the horizon during daytime, and so on. But now I'm fed up with winter, the bleakness, the clouded sky, the mud, and the moisture. Of course, my attitude hasn't really changed, it is just that we have had a different kind of winter than what I would like to see, an extended autumn which never seems to end, only get darker all the time.

There are some interesting things out there, but usually that means going for the details, not trying to capture the grayness and flatness of the landscape. Here are three photos from today.

Only after searching the English name for the tree with the shrunken berries i noticed the appropriate English name - black cherry. At least one new thing learned today.

1 comment:

Andreas said...

Hard to tell. One year I love it, one year I hate it. 2005/6 was a horrible, endless nightmare, but this year I feel fine.

To some degree it may be due to photographic experience. It's not "all white - where should I get some color" any more.