Sunday, January 18, 2009

A look at the Picture Purgatory


Early Ixus 400 photo (#0103), originally uploaded by jiihaa.


Early Ixus 400 photo (#1198), originally uploaded by jiihaa.

A week ago Paul Lester wrote a posting titled Rescued from Picture Purgatory, on "rescuing" old photos. At first I didn't think much about this, but today I decided to have a look at my first photos taken with a digital camera, from 2003 when I bought a Canon Ixus 400.

Most of my photos from that time were of the family, mainly the children. The first non-family photo was number 103, from May 2003, shown here, the subject being a wood anemone. The next non-family photo came four hundred photos later, so it seems that nature came distant second as a subject.

A much more interesting was photo number 1198, which I remember distinctly. When I took the photo, it was just a hasty snapshot - a lone photo of the landscape after taking photos mostly of the children. But when I viewed the photo on the computer screen, I realized there was potential in the little pocket camera.

My interest in landscapes grew slowly, until in September 2008 I bought a Panasonic LX3 to improve my skills in photography. Nowadays I take mainly landscape photographs, they amout to about 3/4 of the total.

No comments: