Wednesday, August 6, 2008

More thoughs on the micro four thirds (4/3) camera standard

As I wrote here earlier, there are exiting news about the micro four thirds (4/3) standard, which Olympus and Panasonic announced. I still don't know what to call these new interchangeable lens cameras, they are not digital SLRs and not rangefinders or EVILs either. Perhaps ILED (intechangable lenses, electronic displays)?

However, after complaining about the slow handling of my Canon Ixus 400, I have been recently quite happy with the camera. I do like the capability to go from macro-level close-up photos to landscapes with the same camera without changing lenses or doing anything fancy. Thus, although the new micro 4/3 cameras may be small, they perhaps are not as versatile in compact form as the best compact cameras now are.

But in terms of the picture quality, the four thirds inch (= 33.9 mm) diameter sensor is certainly much better that the 10 mm typical compact sensors.

Update: It seems I was a bit mistaken in my thinking, thus I wrote some updated thoughts on the sensor sizes.

No comments: