Saturday, September 20, 2008

Is Panasonic LX3 intuitive or too complex?

Martin Doonan wrote about Panasonic LX3 first impressions. In contrast to my experiences - struggling with the complexity of the user interface - he found it easy going: "Interface: nice and intuitive. I've run it through most of the modes available without yet opening the manual. I've handled Panasonic Lumix cameras in the past and I like the way their interface is put together, the LX3 is no different. All the manual modes are also intuitive: easy to get aperture, Ev compensation, focus etc working from the off. I also love the live histogram and easy access to Ev compensation - very quick and easy to get good exposure."

How can it be so different? Perhaps my background as a Canon Digital Ixus 400 user is harmful here, is the Ixus is simple compared to the LX3, and it is much more restricted in features.

I have had a LX3 since Tuesday, and for me the user interface has been complex, especially the layering of automatic features (iA, P, intelligent exposure, focus modes etc.). But slowly I'm getting used to it.

AF and AE lock pose some trouble in understanding how to use them effectively. Reading the manual might help here. Also, I haven't tried out the different focusing modes, so there are a lot of things to learn.

I'm thinking that perhaps I'll try today simpler shooting - aperture priority, using the center focus point (or manual focusing), and if necessary exposure compensation.

No comments: