Friday, September 19, 2008

Why is it always clouded in Finland?


Autumn field, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

It was once again a clouded day here in Finland, so I haven't yet managed to try out the Panasonic LX3 in a bright light. However, some things are becoming easier to use, due to practice.

It seems that exposure compensation works quite nicely in P mode, although it is not needed as often as with Ixus 400. My impression is that LX3 indeed has a good dynamical range in the sensor, but as I don't have a lot of comparison points (only Ixus 400 and Nokia E90) I really can't say anything definitive.

I have configured a lot of information to be shown on the the display, including a live histogram, grid lines, and display of overexposed areas. Due to the size of the display, this works suprisingly well in practice.

I have now read through the short introductory manual (in Finnish) of the camera. Next, I need to read the more detailed descriptions, for example about automatic focus tracking, using the AE/AF and AF buttons, moving the focus area on screen, the different focusing modes etc.

I'm still on the first charge of the battery, well over 500 photos taken, and in addition I have used the LCD for viewing the photos and transferred them via an usb cable to the computer. This is impressive indeed, well above my expectations.

No comments: