Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Night photography with LX3


Lighting, originally uploaded by jiihaa.

Yesterday I tried to photograph at night using ISO 400 as the sensitivity, and the results were quite noisy at a 2 second exposure. (To do this you need the M mode to set both aperture and shutter.)

Today I limited the high ISO to 200 and tried photography at twilight, handheld, using 1/4 second as the maximum exposure. Suprisingly most of the photos didn't have much motion blur. The OIS system of the LX3 is really efective at the wide end (here 32 mm equiv.). However, there was again noise which is quite visible at larger sizes of the image.

Next, I'll try long exposures at ISO 80 and 100 to see how that behaves, using a tripod. I very much would like to take photos at night also, there are many subjects which I find interesting, and of which the camera can produce additional insight.

No comments: