Thursday, May 23, 2013

Come now, taste what the world has to offer

Here are photographs taken on Saturday, while walking in Nuuksio south of lake Saarijärvi and returning to the parking lot at Yli-Takkula.

I have commuted by bicycle on four days this week, even though yesterday and today it rained plenty. During the previous week I commuted by bicycle on five days. The daily commute is 32 km, 1 1/2 hours, which means in a week 7 1/2 hours of exercise. In addition, during the weeked I have gone walking in forests, typically for 3-4 hours. This means a total of 11 hours of exercise weekly.

In my teens I took part in cross-country skiing competitions, and then I trained for about the same number of hours per week. Of course, I trained much harder, but I think I'm getting into shape right now, as it starts to feel really pleasant to get on the bicycle or start walking in a forest.

Maybe I should also arrange for some rest days, because there is the danger of too much exercise, one should have time to recover after exercise. Now I ride the bicycle for 45 minutes each morning and afternoon during the work week, and this may be too much in the long run, as I'm no longer so young as I was when I competed in skiing.

(Posting title is from the poem What to Eat, What to Drink, and What to Leave for Poison by Camille T. Dungy.)

No comments: